FAQ – SVS Projects
What types of building projects does SVS Projects work on?
- New build – bespoke residential homes
- Home extensions and renovations
- Period/heritage homes – restoration and renovation
- Loft and attic conversions
- Apartment/apartment block upgrades and refurbishment
- Restoring fire damaged properties
- Commercial architectural office fit-outs
- Retail/restaurant shop-fitting
What is the difference between a bespoke builder and a high volume builder?
A high volume builder works more like a production line and therefore there is limited opportunity for customization. A bespoke builder typically only builds a few homes a year allowing the client the ability to choose what they want resulting in a truly distinctive home and a more personal experience.
I don’t have an architect yet, can you recommend one?
Yes, we work with a number of different independent architects and draughtsman and are happy to make recommendations based on your particular project and aspirations.
Do I need a building permit?
It depends on what work you have done – exterior or structural changes (eg. large decks/pergolas or home extensions) usually require council approval, whereas most internal changes usually don’t (eg. new bathrooms or kitchen renovations).
What do I have to look for when deciding on a Building Company for my project?
Apart from a competitive price there are a few things you should think about when choosing a builder:
- How much experience does the builder have?
- Is the builder licensed and insured?
- Did I get a written quotation that clearly tells me what is / isn’t included in the price?
- Will the builder use contracts and variation documents?
- Can the builder provide me with references from former customers?
We got a few quotes and they are varying a lot in price. What are possible reasons for this?
There are many reasons why builder’s quotes may vary, some of them having to do with the experience of the builder in this area of work or the resources available to him. You should also look closely at what different builders have included in their quote and what materials they plan to use. It will be easiest for you to compare quotes if you provide the builders with a detailed scope of works for larger projects or if you make sure that you give all the same details to everyone quoting your work for smaller projects.
How long will it take to finish my project?
All building projects are different, but for example most house extensions can be completed within 6 months of starting on site.
Who will be my main point of contact through the project?
Stuart Stevens, founder of SVS Projects, will manage your project from start to finish.
Do you have insurance?
Yes, we carry all necessary liability insurance.
Are you licensed?
Yes, we hold an unlimited domestic builders license – DB-U 38713